Varicose veins are caused by twisted and enlarged superficial veins. The are most common in the legs and many times are a cosmetic concern. However, if your varicose veins cause aching pain and discomfort, contact your Bond Clinic Physician right away.
- Blue or Dark Purple veins visible from the skin’s surface
- Veins that appear twisted and bulging
It is impossible to completely prevent varicose veins, but activities that improve circulation can help to reduce the risk.
- Watching your weight
- A low salt and high fiber diet
- Avoiding tight hosiery and high heels
- Elevating your legs
- Frequently changing from a sitting or standing position
When to Consult a Doctor
- An achy or heavy feeling in your legs
- Burning, throbbing, muscle cramping and swelling in your lower legs
- Worsened pain after sitting or standing for a long time
- Itching around one or more veins
- Skin discoloration around Varicose vein
While Varicose Veins are usually a superficial issue, be sure to consult with your doctor. Bond Clinic has two Vascular Surgeons and you can learn more about them by visiting our website here.