For many people, physical therapy can help strengthen muscles and relieve pain. Physical therapy is the restoration, maintenance, and promotion of optimal physical function. Here at Bond Clinic Physical Therapy, we offer a wide range of physical therapy services to help you feeling better, and get you back out there sooner.
What do Physical Therapists do?
Physical therapists are experts in movement and function, and in addition to helping people rehabilitate from their injuries, they also focus their skills on preventing injuring and loss of movement. The foundation to physical therapy are therapeutic exercises and functional training, and educating patients on preventative steps they can take when exercising or playing their favorite sports. Many exercises can even be done in the comfort of your own home, on your own time.
What should I expect during my first visit?
Physical therapists are here to get to know you and all your physical needs, so every appointment starts off with a brief conversation about medical history, and go over any changes that may have occurred since your last doctors visit. After that, you’ll go through a physical examination, where the following will take place:
- Palpation- touching around the area of the pain/problem. This is done to check for the presence of tenderness, swelling, soft tissue integrity, tissue temperature, inflammation, etc.
- Range of Motion (ROM) – move the joint(s) by the therapist to check for quality of movement and restrictions.
- Muscle Testing- test strength and the quality of the muscle contraction. Pain and weakness may be noted. Often the muscle strength is graded.
- Neurological Screening- test how the nerves are communicating with the muscles, sensing touch, pain, vibration, or temperature. Reflexes may be assessed as well.
- Special Tests- may perform special tests to confirm/rule out the presence of additional problems.
- Posture Assessment- positions the body is in at rest relative to ideal alignment of the body and spine.
After the physical examination, you’ll sit down with your physical therapist and set goals for your treatment. It’s important to be honest with your physical therapist, so they know what route to go with treatment.
Here at Bond Clinic, we have a full team of physical therapists that will help you set the right goals, and get you back on track to doing your favorite things. Contact us today at 863-293-1191 to set up an appointment with our PT team.